Thursday, November 29, 2012

Knock, knock :)

It's raining in Southern California!! Drivers quickly forget how to drive, there's water falling from the sky! People quickly purchase your cold weather gear, it's finally happened, winter is here! Yes, those of you reading this in parts of the country where cold weather actually means cold weather, we here in Southern California have absolutely no idea what to do with ourselves when the weather turns less than delightful. I am 100% part of this sad group of individuals who can't handle anything below 45 degrees (I start to think my feet and hands have frostbite). I was born and raised in a land where winter means scattered showers, and the occasional down pour that is always followed by sunshine. Sigh... one day I will really have to learn what to do when the weather is frightful.


Maybe the rain inspired me to whip up some warm and tasty French toast? Who knows, but that is what we are munching on right now at our house, and I thought, "Hey self, let's tell everyone how to make this breakfast treat. That way you won't have to feel so guilty complaining about a brief dusting of rain drops while others snow plow their driveways." Fast forward to this present moment, and here I am typing out this little ditty. The pictures are a little less than great as it is raining outside and that's where I normally take the foodie pictures... Sorry, last gripe about rain, lol! Now onto better things!

Orange Vanilla French Toast!
makes about 6-8 pieces
can be gluten free if you use a GF bread you like

Ingredients:
1 cup vanilla soy or coconut yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice (its best if fresh squeezed)
1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
6-8 pieces of bread (we used sourdough this morning)

This might be the easiest recipe out there, so there is no excuse for you not to try it. In a bowl mix the yogurt, OJ, and cinnamon. Once it is all blended dip one piece of bread in at a time. I opted to mix it in a bowl and then pour it into a baking pan so that I had more room to dip my bread, but that is up to you.  I would suggest you cook 1 or 2 pieces at a time so you can best monitor the bread. Be sure you use coat the pan with a little oil before cooking to avoid sticking. (I used coconut oil)



You want your stove heat on medium so you don't burn the yogurt. Flip the bread ever so often to ensure an even cooking. Then dress them up with vegan butter, syrup, powdered sugar, fruit, whatever your heart desires!

Knock, knock....Who's there?....Orange....Orange who?...Orange you glad you made this toast! <-Haha that was horrifying to type, but well worth the cheesy factor. 




No comments:

Post a Comment