Sunday, July 22, 2012

Making Mornings Worthwhile

So turns out I have been lied to by every adult I have ever met from age 10 to present day. Everyone older than me has always promised that once I get to a certain age mornings will get easier. When I was in Jr. High I was told mornings would be better in High School: 100% untrue. In High School I was told they would get easier in College: flat out lie. And then in College I was reassured that once I join the working force mornings would be a breeze: vicious falsehood. Now people are telling me when I jump into my 30's mornings will all of a sudden be this blissful magical time that I will love and look forward to... why the deceit!!!

I have decided to ignore this ridiculous charade that people insist on playing; I'm in Garfield's camp, mornings are not to be loved. However.... turns out if I want to be a productive member of society I have to find a way to coexist with this most unwanted timeframe. Enter a yummy healthy breakfast that fills my house with such a wonderful aroma that it makes me almost forget that the sun just rose, and my bed is still warm and calling my name.



My favorite recipe that fills my home with the warmest most wonderful breakfast aroma has to be my favorite Almond Pancakes!! Oh there is nothing that erases the memory of leaving the comfort of my bed more than these delicious marvelous cakes of joy. So just in case you are like me and have realized that mornings will never be your favorite time of day, or if you love mornings and just want another excuse to love them I have the pancake for you. :)

Almond Pancakes!
(makes 8-9 smaller pancakes)

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar (or sweetener substitue)
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Extras:
Fruit - nectarine, pluots, plums (all of these taste good with the almond flavor)
Honey (instead of syrup)



Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Next whisk together all the wet ingredients, and then pour them into the dry ingredients. Mix everything together until blended (don't over stir). Heat up your griddle or pan, and put a little oil on it to prevent sticking. Using a ladle pour the batter onto the pan, about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Wait for the the batter to start bubbling (about 2 minutes) and then flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Plate and top with fruit and honey. YUM! I almost want it to be morning again. 



1 comment:

  1. Tried to make this recipe, but didn't have almond milk, or almond extract. Also wanted to make a GF version. SOooOO, I swapped the flour for 1/2 Almond blend and 1/2 sorghum, and used soy milk (that's all I had!), and found some coconut extract in my cupboard, (didn't know I had that!) YUM! Both a HINT of almond and coconut flavor came through. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete