Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Po-Tah-To

"You say po-tay-to I say po-tah-to" Does anyone really say the latter in that song? If so leave me a comment because I don't think I've ever met a "po-tah-to" sayer, and I would like to expand my horizons. Speaking of expanding horizons, I have figured out a way to expand the french-fries horizon (a little bit).

Hello Extra-Large French-Fries!
 French-fries have been my one true weakness as long as I can remember. There was a period of time where they were the dessert to my meal. Every time the manfriend and I would go out to a restaurant the menu would immediately be scanned for some form of delicious fry. Some might say an intervention was needed (by some I mean family, close friends, manfriend.... coworkers, the wait staff at frequented restaurants, passerbys...). However, before this intervention could take place the unthinkable happened; I burnt myself out on french-fries! Has this ever happened to any of you? Where you love a food so much you eat it to the point of no return? <-If this has not happened to you, don't judge, one day it will, and I will be here with open arms to tell you "I told you so."

It has been years since this episode, and I'm happy to say I have made a recovery. I am able to eat french-fries once more without feeling like a sack of awful beaten with bad tastebuds. I don't worship them as I once did, alas the plans for the bronze statue are forever on hold, but I can enjoy them again as a normal person would. :)

With my ability to eat french-fries restored I set out on a healthy french-fry quest....and wah-lah! I have something I would like to share with you. It is insanely easy, and I foresee this being a wonderful side to any meal!

Extra Large French-Fries w/ Chipotle Mayo Dip
serves 6-8 
gluten free

French-Fry Ingredients:
4-5 larger gold yukon potatoes
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 dashes of cayenne

Chipotle Mayo Dip Ingredients:
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (any will do, I used rice this time)
1/2 cup cashews
1 cup grapeseed oil
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. 

Cut up your potatoes into large "steak fry" sizes. I can only assume these won't be a side to steak, but that seems to be the going name for this size of french-fry. 


Next dump them in a large bowl, and pour the veggie broth over them and season them. Stir everything around so the potatoes are nice and covered. We are using this broth as a substitute to oil and deep fry. 

Once they look good place the potatoes into a baking pan. Be sure you spray the pan with non-stick first. Then cover with foil, and bake for 20 minutes covered. After 20 minutes has gone by remove the cover and stir the potatoes around (keeping them in the oven, so be careful, no burns!). Then cook for 30-35 minutes more. Opening the oven to stir around occasionally. 

While your potatoes are baking up into healthier fries, lets get that dip ready. place all the ingredients (minus the oil) into your blender. Blend everything together till it is completely blended. Then put the blender speed on low, and slowly pour the oil into the mixture. Blend until it looks completely emulsified. Now you have a slightly healthier option to a sugary ketchup. (Could I say "blend" anymore in this paragraph?)

Remove the fries when baked all the way, and serve to your hungry friends. Or just to you, as that is what I did today...maybe I'm not completely cured of my addiction just yet...






No comments:

Post a Comment