Friday, June 15, 2012

Mushroom Thyme!

See what I did there?.... I made a pun out of the title and you had to read it. It is only post #2 and already I'm a comedian. :)


Mooooooooving on, if you are a mushroom lover you are in luck! And if you aren't a mushroom lover, it is officially time to be converted. I welcome you in advance to our team; get ready for some savory delicious delights. 




Those my friends are crimini mushrooms that I sautéed with onion, garlic and thyme, and they are the 'meat and potatoes' of todays wonderful recipe. It is vegan, and chock full of flavor and healthy goodness. (Check out #5 on CNN's list of foods that should not be avoided: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/06/cl.healthful.foods/index.html


We make this soup for dinner parties and it is always one of the first things to be gobbled up! It is a great side to almost everything, or pour a bigger bowl and enjoy as the main course! Without further ado, may I present to your tasting pallet: 


Creamy Mushroom and Thyme Soup (serves 2 to 4 people)





Ingredients:
1 cup chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
8oz sliced crimini mushrooms
1 cup scant raw cashews
2/3 cup veggie broth (low sodium)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil (can use water instead)
1 tablespoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 dashes cayenne pepper


Pour oil (or water) into a large pan, and add the onion and garlic. Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until onion starts to look clear. Add in mushrooms, thyme, salt and cayenne pepper to the pan and cook for an additional 5 minutes. 


Once the mushrooms are sautéed pour the contents of the pan into a blender and add the cashews, broth and water to the blender. Blend on high until the soup is blended and creamy. Pour into bowls and serve (can garnish with chopped cashews, chopped green onion or save a few of the sautéed mushrooms)!! 


1 comment:

  1. I made this soup tonight! I doubled the recipe and I'm happy I did... this is delicious! The best mushroom soup I've ever eaten. I'm drooling now, just thinking about it. Thanks Casey!

    ReplyDelete